Chris Schatschneider:

Date: September 11, 1996

To me, atheism is a statement of non-belief. When I say I am an atheist, I am saying that I cannot find enough evidence to suggest that a supernatural "being" exists. If this is a negative belief, then why would I want to counter this "accusation." And while there are many positive aspects in not believing in things that don't exist, the term "positive atheism" is unclear to me. The essence of atheism is a non-belief in a god. No other beliefs I may or may not have can be inferred from my statement of atheism.

To: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Thursday, April 12, 2001 6:08 AM

Dear Positive Atheism Editor:

First I'd like to say that I am an 18 year-old lifetime Catholic who has attended catholic schools all his life. With that out of the way I'd like to commend you on having such a wonderful website. Any time questions about religion are brought about there is a chance for constructive analyzing about religion. I also found your "What Are Some Positive Aspects To Atheism?" section interesting and humorous. Something that I always find interesting about atheists who actively seek out to disprove Christian belief structures is that the criticism is rarely at the expense of Catholicism beliefs. One reason is probably due to pope John Paul II's Vatican II work and the "modernization", if you will, of Catholicism We are very keen on interpreting the Bible figuratively, not literally (which, quite frankly makes a lot of Christians look like close-minded morons). We also seem to be less rigid in our belief that only those who "accept" Jesus as their savior are the people who can enter heaven. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I could understand why someone would be atheist. I'm a very liberal Catholic, and I don't believe EVERYTHING that is in our doctrine as it is today. I suppose I mainly wanted to thank you for providing such an open forum and to keep up the good work. So, keep on keepin on, and talk to ya later.

Aaron Thomas