Christians Will Disapear
From Behind The Wheel
[anonymous]

Forwarded from a member of our e-list:

I will give you your proof if you won't read the Bible okay? If you can't base your belief on the Bible, just remember what I am going to tell you, in the Bible it tells us about the end times. That Christ will return for the saved one day. That is the people who have confessed that Jesus Christ is Lord and asked Him to be their Lord and Personal Savior. And have repented of their sins. I want you to explain how suddenly millions of people around the world disapear one day. All of the sudden, people off of airplanes, in cars, homes, everywhere. God is going to take us in the twinkling of an eye. One second we are here, the next nothing but a pile of clothes. There will be car accidents because of Christians disapearing behind the wheel of the car. Maybe even plane crashes. It may sound crazy to you, but it is simple to us. Jesus promised to return for us. We will be in Heaven with Him. I can't make you believe this now. But one day, I don't think very long from now, it will happen. And I just want you to remember my words, it won't be some effects of nuclear weapons, or technology or alien invasions, like some people will think. It will be what we call the Rapture. Read the books called "Left Behind" It is a series that talks about what I am telling you. It doesn't seem crazy to me, though it would to someone with no faith. It will happen. I just pray you will realize it soon, so you can come with us. HOPE

Graphic Rule

Cliff Walker responds:

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 10:31:50-0700

Let's take a look at this "proof."

Yeah? Does telling an "end-time" scenario prove anything? What about the film "Planet of the Apes" and other similar doomsday films I have had the fortune not to see? They tell of an "end-time" scenario, too.

All this shows is that "end-times" scenarios are popular and thus will sell.

Meanwhile, let's see what the Bible Jesus really says about the "end times":

In Matt. xvi. 28., Jesus allegedly said, "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

Oops!

Mark ix. 1. portrays Jesus as having said, "Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power."

Uh-ohh!

Further, Mark, xiii. 30-31., quotes Jesus as saying, "Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is."

"Houston, we've got a problem!"

If we go with the obvious interpretation of these verses, the Jesus character was clearly mistaken in declaring that the end of the world will occur during the lifetimes of his listeners.

The main thing about this is that I don't have to explain anything, because nothing of the sort has happened.

This was an extreme minority viewpoint among Christians until the mid-twentieth century, when the Allied forces' founding of the modern nation of Israel gave fuel to this interpretation. Most Protestant sects think this scenario is unbiblical, based upon a skewed reading of a single verse in Thessalonians and one dark saying of Jesus -- who admitted (according to the text) that the purpose for using parables and dark sayings was to obscure the truth (Mt. xiii. 13-17; Mk iv. Lk. viii. 9-10). I challenge anyone to find two commentators who have the same interpretation of the parables which Jesus did not explain -- unless one commentator was copying another!

Of course it sounds crazy! It is crazy!! That's why I am not a Christian!

This is precisely why I use reason to come to a knowledge of truth, and why I distrust faith as a method for determining truth.

If God wants us to believe in Him, and if God is able to reveal to us that He really exists, then why do so many of us doubt? Well over one billion now living either think there is no god or are otherwise not religious. If the Gospel message was true, if the Gospel message was self-evident, then you'd think more of us would have caught on by now.

And if an all-powerful god wanted it done, why is it not done?

Most humans accept the sphericity of the earth and the existence of the sun. Most humans accept the laws of arithmetic and can work calculations. These things are self-evident and nobody disputes them. (Well, the Flat-Earthers -- but they are all, to a man, Bible believing Christians!)

Tell me: why do only about 1.6 billion people call themselves Christian, and among them, why are there so many different interpretations of the Will of God? Could it be that the Gospel message is not self-evident? I'd say that that, at minimum, is the case. Could it also be that the Christian god does not exist? I think that these two facts argue strongly against the existence of the Christian god: (1) Only between one-fourth and one-fifth of humans call themselves Christian; (2) Among Christians there is a world of dissent and disagreement as to even the basics of what the Gospel message even is.

No. According to the Gospel message, we will only be shown after it is too late. If our believing this message to be true is as important as this, then why are the Parables' meanings obscured? Why is the Gospel message so far from being self-evident? Why does the Bible contain so many clear and indisputable errors, making it so obvious that this cannot possibly be the word of a god who is both loving and just?

Why is there so much honest doubt and disbelief?

Why can the atheists and other non-Christians make such a solid case against the Gospel message?

Tim LaHay's fiction. Fiction. You find it in the Fiction section of your bookstore and library. You do not read about this stuff in Time and Newsweek.

I remember LaHay when I was in San Diego. He wrote a nonfiction book about the evils of Secular Humanism. I think it was called "Battle For the Mind." I remember this book being so full of outright lies that even I, as a Christian, was offended. It was LaHay's book that was one of many reasons I initially felt compelled to distance myself from Christianity.

If Tim LaHay's nonfiction can contain as much bias and error as his book on Secular Humanism, then I can only imagine what it's like when the constraints of truth are lifted and LaHay allows himself to admit that what he writes is fiction.

Meanwhile, compare the details on any book written in the '60s or '70s ("The Late Great Planet Earth," for example), and see how much of this drivel came to pass. Hal Lindsay predicted the Rapture in 1981, and the second Second Coming (the real Second Coming") in 1988. He did this in a round-about way, of course, because Jesus allegedly warned against setting dates. However, Jesus Himself predicted, in Mark xiii. 30-31., that "this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is." If you read the context, he was clearly talking about the end of the world as we know it, with a new "Kingdon" being ushered in. Mark ix. 1. has him saying, "Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power."

According to Deut. xviii. 20-22., Jesus fits the model of a false prophet:

But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?
When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Jesus clearly described the end of the world, and said that some of his listeners "that stand here" will not have died before this happens. They're all obviously dead, so Jesus was mistaken. He also (according to the Gospel tales) told of another god -- himself -- and thus earned the scorn of the more obedient Jews.