Positive Atheism:
'Devoid Of Atheism'
Woodys

Graphic Rule

From: Positive Atheism Magazine <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: woodys
Subject: Re: what are you doing?
Date: Tuesday, September 07, 1999 4:39 AM

You are welcome to state your case.

Please be aware that you start with a bang -- coming off sounding like a paranoid conspiracy theorist and more.

In light of this, your case will need not only to be self-evident but also clearly and compellingly stated. This is because our site represents a carefully-gathered sample of atheistic thought dating back two hundred years. For you to upset this apple cart will take quite some doing -- especially considering that your initial letter expresses the very bigotry, hatred, and falsehood that you so arrogantly denounce.

It also appears that you have not reviewed the entire 30 megabytes in our text-intensive website.

From: Positive Atheism <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: woodys
Date: Wednesday, September 08, 1999 5:15 AM

This is no excuse for indignity.

This is no excuse for setting up your own fantasy about what our position is (rather than finding out what our position really is), and then denouncing us based upon your fantasy rather than attacking our actual position.

I still think you are bluffing: you have not read very much of our 30-megabyte, text-intensive website. Otherwise, you would not be attacking your own (false) portrayal of our position but would, if anything, be attacking something that resembles our position.

Organized atheism exists only to counter the claims of theists. Were it not for the claims of theists, nobody would know what atheism is, nor would the word "atheism" appear in any dictionary.

What is "an un jaunticed eye"? Does "an un jaunticed eye" mean the same thing as "agnostic" -- ignorant? Does "an un jaunticed eye" have anything to do with being a loose cannon, firing randomly at nothing in particular? firing at a mere word without finding out which meaning a particular group or individual attaches to that word when they use it to identify themselves?

No.

Had you actually read our page (had you even visited our Mission Statement), you would be addressing our statements denouncing your (above) position as falsehood, rather than simply presuming your position to be true, and then attempting to refute your own fantasy about the atheistic position.

I know you claim you have already read it, thus you know how to find it; nevertheless, I will remind you of our "Clues" section. If you will remember, this is a collection of articles on how to debate honestly. You may even remember that the vast majority of these articles give the same name for what you are doing: they call it the "straw man."

In accusing us of using the ad hominem (because of our use of what he calls "emotional words"), he launches into an outdated Freud-based ad hominem of his own.

Graphic Rule

From: Positive Atheism <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: woodys
Date: Thursday, September 09, 1999 7:26 AM

So, then, I take it you're using flawed logic on purpose, and not simply out of ignorance.

Could that purpose be an attempt to deceive? We will assume "yes" to this question and have set a filter to delete any further e-mail from your account.