Friendly Advice
(Abraham Smith's Sabotage)
Mikhail

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: Mikhail
Subject: Re: Friendly advice
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 20:04:11 -0700

I have asked Mr. Smith numerous times to stop writing me. He refuses. That is probably my only valid complaint against him to the AOL Abuse Team.

In order to cover my own ass for the nuisance he has caused in my name (I have to abide by my server's Terms of Service Agreement, and prevent them from having to field complaints about me), I must take responsibility for my part. This includes: (1) apologizing for posting the addresses (by the way, posting addresses is a common practice); (2) attempting to prevent him (and others) from using the list he stole from us (by again contacting the AOL Abuse Team); and (3) removing the addresses. I have done the first two, and you will notice that every file in our Letters section has been replaced with a "Temporarily Down" explanation until I can go through each of these e-mails and remove the addresses.

I am not doing this because I enjoy it; I am doing it under tremendous pressure. Thus, I feel no qualms about transferring some of that pressure to the real culprit in this matter: Mr. Abraham Smith.

I also note that you have bought into Smith's bullshit that I am "frustrated and hurt" -- that he "will not accept your point of view." I don't care what you think. I don't care what Mr. Smith thinks. The point is that he has got me in a real bind with his shenannegans (as was likely his unspoken intention), and I must now cover my ass the best I know how. I will do this by notifying everyone that he is back to using the original list which contains names of people from whom I have received complaints. I will warn everyone on the list that I intend to forward anything I receive from the list that was sent "Reply to All" to that person's server's Abuse Team. If I do all this, I may be able to prevent my website from having to seek a new server with a "Termination" on my record and a fine levied from my pocket. This, I'm convinced, is Mr. Smith's real motive in doing what he is doing, and I doubt it has much if anything to do with winning or losing an argument.