Enlightening: Thank You!
Alex Zouzias

Graphic Rule

From: Positive Atheism <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: A thank-you and a question ...
Date: Sunday, November 21, 1999 3:18 PM

Thanks for your wonderful compliments.

I know of no biography, but various recollections appear scattered throughout my writings: mostly in the Cliff section and the Letters section.

Novelist Anthony Burgess (A Clockwork Orange) spoke of his need to read rationalist literature due to what he called a "residual" tendency of his to revert to religion -- this after a lifetime of skepticism. I read this in an Isaac Asimov interview, and apparently Asimov had the same problem. That same problem plagues me. I deal with it the same way I deal with the urge to take drugs: it's just a primordial urge -- a misguided appetite -- that is being interpreted as a false "need" to get some religion (or some drugs); these urges are not in accordance with my rationally based decisions, those decisions that I have sat down and given some good thought to and have implemented into personal policy: I don't take drugs and I don't believe in Jesus.

I was dating a fundamentalist Christian of the New Age variety, but unfortunately (or fortunately) I discovered that she just likes to reel 'em in, see how long they are, and let 'em go. Over half her life has been lived, and she still has no prospects, as far as I can tell. Now, I'd rather be alone than to live with the sneaking suspicion that someone likes me only because they secretly hope that I will eventually convert.