Reading Atheistic
Literature In Public
G. Wesley Bennett

Graphic Rule

From: Positive Atheism <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: PA-via_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Thursday, October 21, 1999 4:10 AM

One way to express what you were saying is to say that by their definition for atheism, the guy who fixes your Volvo is atheistic in that his religion is not relevant to fixing your car. It is easy to see that this form of "atheism" is not what they fear, and it is only in this sense that the schools are "atheistic": the schools are religiously neutral, and rightly so.

Philosophical atheism, on the other hand, exists only to counter the claims of theists.

A copy of Smith's book is guaranteed to turn heads. Other great head-turners include books about the Inquisition and the witch-hunts. Talk about making people twitch!

Just recently I got on a bus and sat next to a young woman with a large leather-covered "WWJD" Bible in her lap (this I noticed out of the corner of my eye -- you could hardly miss it, the thing was so huge). I opened up my pack, fished pulled out a copy of Positive Atheism, and began reading it. I know she saw it because her relaxed state vanished and she began to fidget. She adjusted her Bible and then opened it up and started to read it.

All this means to me (at all) is that yet another person was exposed to an atheist who did not subsequently lean over and bite her head off.