The God-Oath In Court
Buz

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Buz"
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Monday, February 21, 2000 6:22 PM

I appeared before a Grand Jury to testify against a car theft suspect, and told the District Attorney (beforehand) that "even though we atheists are second-class citizens in the United States, most of us do have our principles -- so whatever you have to do to work around the God-oath is fine with me." She allowed me to "affirm" rather than to swear to the Christian God.

Indidentally, a member of the Grand Jury knew me from my forced participation in the Twelve Step program, and thus knew that I am an atheist (as I had refused to keep my atheism a secret during the Twelve Step meetings). He winked at me during the affirmation fiasco, obviously respecting me for self-consistency -- even before the Grand Jury!

A particularly humorous story along these lines, related by The Realist publisher Paul Krassner, lives at:
http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/nut.htm

I don't know who said this, but it's true. Someone also said that if we keep repeating a lie long enough, the people will eventually accept it as truth. This is why we work tirelessly to oppose Pat Robertson's "Christian Nation" lie.

Thomas Paine once said that a man can tell the truth a thousand times, but will unravel his reputation with a single lie. This is why Positive Atheism advocates a personal ethic that says: I do what I say; I say what I do; I keep no secrets.