Doesn't Understand Fear
Of Alcoholics Anonymous
Dennis J. Adams

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Dennis J. Adams"
Subject: Re: PA-via_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Tuesday, April 25, 2000 5:28 PM

Well, then, you weren't there with me while I was jailed for refusing, on religious grounds, to obey a court order to attend AA meetings (which have been described by a U.S. Circuit Court as "unequivocally religious," but for reasons much deeper than the fact that AA meetings usually reach a point where the whole group stands in a circle, holding hands, and recites the Christian "Lord's Prayer" in unison).

My fear is that all AA members know that the courts force people to attend AA meetings, but I have yet to meet an AA member who is willing to speak out against this atrocity. Oh, during those times when they're "off-duty," as H. L. Mencken might put it, some will give lip service to the idea, in the presence of the likes of myself, where "it doesn't count"; however, they dare not speak out in their fellowship: as many as a half-dozen in the entire World might have the audacity to sponsor a motion to recommend against this practice as contributing to ("rubber-stamping") a blatant violation of AA's core tradition of volunteerism. A decision from AA World Services to recommend that groups stop signing people's attendance verification slips would instantly remove that fear.

I don't understand why AA invokes the Tradition about "no opinion on outside issues" to skirt this matter when one if its core values is that AA is strictly voluntary. I can only reflect upon my own observation that something about forcing prople to attend AA meetings is much more important to AA than even their own reputation, Traditions, and moral values.

Quitting.

Just don't put that stuff in your body ever again.

As for the obsession, it may or may not go away with time. I know many who have lost the obsession. I, after almost twelve years, still endure it almost constantly. Oh well. The obsession doesn't force me to drink or use against my will. I decided that I don't drink or use any more -- and that's that.

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Dennis J. Adams"
Date: Wednesday, April 26, 2000 3:54 AM

Many individuals agree, but the Twelve Step fellowships refuse to budge. They allow the courts and the agencies to be their recruiting arm, and they serve only to profit from this arrangement.

By the way, do you know which year was the highest earning year for Lois Wilson concerning profits she made from the sale of the AA "Big Book" (and how much that was)? Could you find this out for me?

Note to reader:
Although I did not reveal this to Mr. Adams, the figure came to just under one million dollars (US) shortly before her death, according to one source.