'What Would Any Jesus Do?'
(April, 2000, Column)
Gerald Gage

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Gerald Gage"
Subject: Re: Comment on your editorial
Date: Monday, May 15, 2000 3:10 PM

If the televangelists admitted that their "Jesus" was mythical, I don't think the exploitation you describe would exist.

The exploitation results from (among other things) their insistence that Jesus was (and is still) real and that he will, in fact, exact punishment against those who disagree with Him. The key here is the claim that Jesus can enforce His claims.

As long as the myth is seen by all involved as an unenforceable myth, it seems to me that the element of exploitation is drastically weakened.

From: Positive Atheism <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Gerald Gage"
Date: Tuesday, May 16, 2000 6:26 PM

Yes, we seem to agree: when someone teaches that a myth is reality, they are, at minimum, mistaken. When they do this deliberately, for the puropse of personal or political gain, they are exploiting.