How Can You Be Sure
There's No God?
Charles Duncan

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Charles Duncan"
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Friday, April 21, 2000 2:00 AM

We don't have to know for sure in order to act according to what we think is most likely.

Theism is a claim; atheism is not going along with that claim (or, in some cases, having yet to even encounter that claim). Atheism itself is not a claim. Since it is theism which makes the claim, not atheism, then it is the responsibility of theism to make the case for its claim. Atheism need simply sit back and watch -- until such time as theism makes a compelling case for its claim.

In writing thus far, you have merely assumed the existence of a god (that you call "God"). For now, I don't even know what you're talking about, as that word (as yet) has no meaning for me, either experientially or abstractly. First you must give me the meaning of the term "God" as you use it, and then you must make the case for your claim (rather, assumption) that a "God" exists.

Until you do both of these things, I have no business going along with you. Until you do both of these things, you remain, in my mind, just another hack who has spent precious moments of the only life you will ever get to live blithering to someone who is not equipped to understand what you are talking about.