Taking Dostoyevsky
Out Of Context?
A. Cantrell

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Sunday, June 11, 2000 4:05 PM

We do not pretend to offer quotations only from people who are atheists. Our list contains great material from some very respected theists.

Sometimes the best way to get a point across is if someone from the other side of the argument admits that you have a point. This is particularly true when a theist admits his or her doubts.

It really doesn't matter who said it, it is the truth of the statement that matters (or its patent falsity, in some cases -- including Dostoyevsky's blatant misrepresentation of the atheistic position: "If God does not exist, then everything is permitted").

Also, we don't care if a statement is "out of context" as long as the statement, in its entirety, has something to say.

You can accuse us of taking Dostoyevsky "out of context" if you want (this is a very common accusation, that someone "takes something out of context"), but since we don't think we're clever or sneaky enough to do that, we will only take your accusation as a compliment. Really, we're not smart enough or educated enough to dissect Dostoyevsky to the point where we would know what "in context" or "out of context" even means.