From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Wednesday, May 17, 2000 1:23 PM

One of our readers likes to visit the religious websites and then alerts us to the more off-the-wall websites he finds. The one at churches.com is one of those websites.

We visited churches.com, spent some time there, and found it to be quite amateurish in that the tirades contained many typographical errors of the kind that displays poor writing skills. Unwilling to resist the temptation, I sent an e-mail to Pastor Jerry R. Wilhite, mentioning that we had listed his web site in the "Goofy Religions Index" of our Web Guide, and mentioning the presence of the errors.

Unfortunately, the letter itself contained a typo of the kind you would expect of a man who was both hurried and has visual impairments (I admit that I did not check the letter carefully, but merely dashed it off without checking it).

Pastor Jerry R. Wilhite has been menacing us with e-mail inquiries ever since. As of yesterday, he insists that we never posted a link to his page as promised (yet a search of the source will reveal the presence of the string "churches.com" and a test of the date of the document will reveal that at the moment of this writing our Goofy Religions document is much older than yesterday; the one that lives there at this moment was posted on May 3, 2000).

The reader who alerted us has asked that we post the exchanges between Rev. Wilhite and myself, but they are not of the quality that we use in our Letters section -- although we do admit that our initial contact with Rev. Wilhite was a wrong move on our part.

How convenient: You are able to find an excuse to make bold, unsubstantiated claims without having to back them up. I wish I could get away with this and still consider myself an honest man.

We try to discover what is verifiably true. To make claims that are based on unverifiable claims is, to us, untruthful.

For example, you to state that we are "doing the will of God." This presupposes that: (1) you have verified the existence of a "God" and are no longer operating on faith; (2) you know that this "God" is a person who has a "will"; (3) others who claim to know the "will" of a "God," but whose claims contradict yours, are speaking falsehood and that you alone have a monopoly on truth in such matters; and (4) you know all that we are doing, to know that it is in conformance of the "will" of your "God."

We simply cannot take such a leap and consider ourselves honest.

You have failed to make your case that a "God" exists. Thus, we continue to lack a god-belief, and thereby remain atheists.