From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: Barry
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Sunday, July 02, 2000 9:34 PM

I remember you! I still have some of those old online mud-slinging sessions posted in Recovery Watch, especially: "You Don't Grant the Same Consideration to Other Paths"; "Same Playing Field: Censorship vs. Orwellian Steptalk"; "Name-Calling, Mud-Slinging, and AA-Bashing."

Almost all the attacks I endured in the Twelve Step programs were discreet. After enduring enough of them, though, I had been driven out of the program many times over. That was the reason I was willing to check out Rational Recovery when I heard about it. (I wouldn't have been interested had I been happy, now would I?)

Now, after twelve years, I have embarked upon a method of moderation based loosely on the way the Europeans (particularly the British) approach heavy drinking. So far, I've done well.

I did investigate Audrey Kishline's "Moderation Management" several years ago, and found it to be very wanting when it comes to both method and technique. It was more about letting people know that moderation is possible than it was about finding out if your are a candidate and, if so, how to pull it off -- and what signs to look for when trouble's a-brewin'.

Unfortunately, Kishline was convicted last week of two counts of vehicular manslaughter. I concur with Jeff Schaler's opinion that anybody who kills someone while drunk is fully culpable for those deaths.