GOD LIE Philadelphia Graffiti;
Portland's TRUST JESUS Graffiti
Donna Walter

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: GOD LIE Philadelphia Graffiti
Date: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 2:11 PM

When I moved to Portland in 1985, I saw TRUST JESUS written everywhere. There had been one prominent occurrence of this one on the overpass when you go from San Diego to El Cajon, which I remember as early as the mid- to late-1970s, but in Portland it was everywhere. As far as I can tell, it was the same style of writing: hand-painted block letters. People would sometimes alter these: my favorite alteration said BUST JESUS on the road back from Milwaukie. It was so prevalent that it would even show up in the background in local comic strips.

They finally busted the guy in Portland, who had been a candidate for mayor. The local community of gay men were very prominent (and very thorough) in the clean up effort. The last one I saw, after several years of not seeing any, was about six years ago when I was riding my mountain bike. It was old enough to have been left over from the 1980s. It soon disappeared (heh heh heh!).

From: "Jeremy Biffert"
To: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Philadelphia_Graffiti_Letter_9616
Date: Thursday, April 12, 2001 12:59 AM

Hello there folks,

Jesus Christ graffitiJesus Christ graffiti looks great, sooths the sinners soul, and is a kind reminder of how much GOD loves all of us. Even you atheists.

Wishing you peace of mind and spiritual awakening,

Jeremy Biffert
British Columbia
Canada