From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Tom Scanlon"
Subject: Re: 1854??????
Date: Saturday, July 15, 2000 2:29 PM

As almost all Protestants will tell you, the doctrine of Immaculate Conception has no biblical support whatsoever.

The Roman Catholics differ from the Protestants in that their ultimate authority is the Church, which consists of the historical body of Church doctrine, plus the Bible, plus the decrees of the Popes.

I am satisfied with using my own mind to determine what I will or will not believe, giving my the liberty to abandon a precept if can be shown to be flawed. Of course, I think all theists do this, too, when they simply choose to surrender to a dogma and stop having to consider a given matter. Some atheists are like many theists in this respect, in that their atheism is no longer subject to revision.

Of course, if a fetus of the first trimester differs little from a prawn, then such cherished dogma as the Immaculate Conception is in grave danger. Thus it is in the Roman Catholic Church's interest to preserve the apparent integrity of this and other dogmata by vehemently and violently opposing every woman's right to choose abortion. Think about it.