From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: This is why i dont bother to argue with people like you (response appreciated)
Date: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 1:41 PM

You are correct in observing that we at Positive Atheism are not trying to de-convert anyone. This magazine has, as its target audience, people who are already atheists.

Since the late 1970s, I've said to myself, "What if this is how some poor clown is staying off drugs?" and my attitude has grown significantly over the years to include many solid reasons for not trying to de-convert anyone. Most importantly, the issue of whether or not a god exists is the stupidest thing to get into an argument over; we all do well to set this discussion aside and work together to solve the pressing problems of day-to-day living.

I will, however, gladly discuss the issues with any theist who wishes to engage me: the theist is the one making the claim, so it is always the theist's first move. Mine is only to respond to the theist's claims, and only if I choose to do so. Thus, I restrict my involvement in this discussion to this forum.

This is one of the problems I have with the concept of Hell: God doesn't go out of His way to reveal Himself to me; but if He is real, I'm in big trouble because when he does get around to revealing Himself to me, it's too late for me to benefit from the knowledge of His existence.

I appreciate your sentiments. I wish I could hear from more like you.