From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "diaz"
Subject: Re: aa history and recovery webstite incudes pro and con aa stuff
Date: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 10:52 PM

I find it interesting that so many are beginning to go up against the practice of enforced AA. I've been saying this for twelve years now.

AA does well to recommend that groups refuse to sign the forms, and this is the only way AA will be able to redeem its dignity and return to its roots.

I doubt AA will ever do this, though, because the more who show up, the more money eventually filters down to headquarters. Also, AA is a religion of the evangelical variety in that it is premised on outreach and garnering more and more members. We saw this get out of hand during the late 1980s and early 1990s when there were several hundred different Twelve Step programs, even programs that called virtually all people diseased (co-dependent).

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "diaz"
Subject: Re: Enforced AA Attendance
Date: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 1:13 PM

Though not yourself a crusader, do you think AA might be ready to listen? (This is a question, not a request for assistence; I know better than to ask any more.) I think NA is ready, though I know of very few Steppers who are willing to "rock the boat" even though most admit that that's how anything ever gets done.