Creationist Poses
Trick Question
[unsigned]

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Thursday, March 09, 2000 2:41 AM

No wonder no atheist can answer your question, it is invalid for three reasons:

First, your question presupposes that this universe is infinitely old, even though it appears to have existed for between 10 and 20 billion earth years.

Secondly, your question regarding entropy is many decades out of date, because it ignores the fact that this universe appears to be expanding. One hundred years ago, your question was a serious problem, but not today. Such expansion would leave room for tiny (very tiny) knots of order to form. One of those knots happens to be our planet. The vast majority of our universe is pure entropy, and our planet adds to that entropy every moment in the form of radiated heat.

For a more thorough explanation, please read my November 6, 1999, interview with Professor Stenger. To follow up after that, you would either need to read the popular books by Professor Stenger and his colleagues or study particle physics at a the graduate level.

Finally, your use of the concept of "an eternity ago" sets up what Koestler would call a "strange loop" -- or meaningless question. You can read about this game in our FAQ section.

We have a tough enough time addressing valid questions, but we cannot begin to tackle trick questions. The best we can to is to recognize them as such and then move on.

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Date: Friday, March 10, 2000 3:24 PM

Did you not read the Stenger interview? He is among the leading particle physicists investigating this matter, and I trust his healthy skepticism.

Considering the nature of your previous question, I would suggest that you develop any further questions on this subject based upon what this interview states, and then address those questions to Professor Stenger. His website is listed in our Web Guide under "Science."