Revoke Tax-Exempt Status

To The Churches

Andy

From: "Andy" (Canada)
To: "Positive Atheism"
Subject: Positive Atheism Letters Section
Date: Sunday, January 09, 2000

Isn't it about time someone launched a lawsuit to revoke tax exempt status to the churches? Shouldn't they be taxed like all other corporations?

I live in Ontario where we've come up with this wonderful school system. There are two separate school boards everywhere; public and Catholic. I'm not talking private Catholic schools here, I mean public. You actually get a form each year that asks which board you want your taxes to go to.

Any ideas on which specific argument the latter specific case, and the former general case could based upon (Canada or US)?

From: "Positive Atheism"
To: "Andy"
Date: Monday, January 10, 2000

Madalyn Murray O'Hair of American Atheists worked on this one for years. It's going to be a tough battle, but showing the sheer amount of potential tax money that gets exempted is a very convincing argument, and many are open to it. As diversity becomes more and more entrenched, more widely accepted and thus more broadly practiced, we just might see a successful call to tax all businesses, not just the secular ones.