Coming Down Off Religion
Sarah

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: Sarah
Subject: Re: PA-via_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Thursday, March 02, 2000 7:01 PM

With that outlook, you're in fine company:

"Interviewer: Did the study of anthropology later color your writings?

"Vonnegut: It confirmed my atheism, which was the faith of my fathers anyway. Religions were exhibited and studied as the Rube Goldberg inventions I'd always thought they were."

                    -- Kurt Vonnegutt, Jr.

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: Sarah
Date: Friday, March 03, 2000 4:13 AM

Atheism is the lack of a god-belief -- for whatever reason. The way I state it is to say that I have yet to hear a god-claim that makes sense or holds water. The book "Atheism: The Case Against God" by George H. Smith is the best summary of this position, called "weak atheism." So-called strong atheism boldly asserts that no gods exist. While I live my life confident that no gods exist, I must take into consideration that I don't know everything. Thus, when discussing the issue with theists, I say that I have not heard claims that hold water. For example, I have heard the god-claim made by Christians, and it is ludicrous. Ditto for those made by Muslims and Jews.

As for thinking, you do well to check out our section on how to think: Clues. This should keep you busy for a while. I have summarized the common logical fallacies in our FAQ section, documenting the ways in which religionists and religious writers (and others) try to snooker you.