Concerns Regarding The
Twelve Step Religion
Sabrina Glidden

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: Sabrina
Subject: Re: Cliff Walker...
Date: Saturday, September 02, 2000 6:18 PM

All methods advocate that you need help (or are otherwise inferior) -- except one: Rational Recovery. Rational Recovery dismantled its system of groups and meetings following my argument that if RR teaches self-recovery, why do we still hold meetings? I would look into the methods with this discinction in mind. Check out RR's website and my Recovery Watch page.

I currently practice moderation as advocated by Stanton Peele and agree with Peele's denunciation of the abstinence-based methods as an across-the-board cure-all. Alcoholics Anonymous has its roots in the same temperance movement that sparked the Prohibition Era in the United States. Their predecessors, the ill-named Washingtonian Society (Washington was a very heavy drinker), was scornfully denounced by Abraham Lincoln during a speech he gave at one of that society's functions. This rebuke showcases Lincoln's wit and cynicism probably better than any of his utterances. So, abstinence is a party-line policy, not one derived from observing which methods work most effectively. Moderation is the mainstream method in Europe, and where it is practiced drug and alcohol problems are more likely to be under control than where abstinence is emphasized.