How Many Atheists
Are In The World?
Ido

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Ido"
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Monday, September 04, 2000 1:22 PM

The article in Encarta is one of the best "Atheism" articles I've seen in a reference book. Although it divides atheism into "atheists" and "nonreligious," if we add the two categories together (for they are all without theism), then atheists comprise the largest single sect -- unless you count the Orthodox churches and Roman Catholicism and the many sects of Protestantism and the various Christ-confessing offshoot religions (such as Mormonism) as a single sect, which they aren't even by their own standards.

I reprinted an earlier version of this article in the print edition and it is posted on our website.