Is Unitarianism
A Religion For Atheists?
(unsigned)

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Tuesday, October 17, 2000 11:51 AM

What is unique about Unitarianism is that (at least nowadays) you are free to have whatever concept of "God" or "god" you wish -- and I guess that means a no concept of god or even a concept of no god. Almost everyone in my family, at least back to the great-grandparents, are or were atheists, but most of us called ourselves Unitarians or actually were Unitarians (if there is such a thing). My Mom's father's father was a Unitarian minister who, as far as I can tell, believed pretty much in Spinoza's god-as-nature. During the 40 or so Christmases I spent with his son and daughter-in-law (he died before I was born), I only heard mention of going to church once on Christmas eve.

Regardless, I would have nothing to say about anybody's religion except under one condition: that person's religion becomes intrusive into my life, particularly if that person's religion adversely affects my quality of life.

But, I'm not sure I want to join a religion -- any religion -- no matter how reasonable it seems. Sure, there seems to be something missing in my life, but I think that "hole" could be fulfilled with family, either directly (my own family) or vicariously (someone else's family, a girlfriend or whatever). The social element of churchgoing seemed phony in that you are accepted more because you adhere loyalistically to the creed than because you are you. (I discovered this in the atheist group of all places, though I'd known it all along!)

In all, I think religion is an appendage that doesn't need to be replaced, but needs simply to go, so that I may free up those resources in order to pursue living a full life. This is for me and this is what I think, and I care naught what anybody else does with their life.