Burden Of Proof
Misunderstood
G. Cortilla

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Gems from the Mailbag: Life would certainly be depressing ...
Date: Monday, October 23, 2000 2:52 PM

Wrong.

We are not making the claim that there is no afterlife. But even if we did, to do this would be a negative existential claim (a claim that a thing does not exist) and would not be subject to the same burden of proof as the positive existential claim (a claim that a thing does exist). This is because it is logically impossible to prove a negative existential claim or to disprove a positive existential claim; however, to disprove a negative existential claim or to prove a positive existential claim, one need merely cough up the evidence.

This is not the two-way street that you suggest it is. The best our side can do is to poke holes in the theories of your side, since it is your side that is making the existential claims, not ours.

You are claiming that something exists, we are not. Thus, it is you who must bring forth evidence that such thing exists. If you fail to do so, we are perfectly right in, at minimum, rejecting your claim. We are also right in going so far as to call your claim falsehood, though we at Positive Atheism usually refrain from going that far. Even if we did call your claim falsehood, we could easily update our understanding should you provide sufficient evidence for believing your claim.

This situation is far from fair: we doubters cannot bring forth any evidence. Those making the claims are the only ones who can offer evidence (if it exists). The case of the doubters rests entirely in the doubters' responses to the claims of the believers. Usually this takes the form of the believers' inability to bring forth evidence that justifies belief. Without the claims of the believers, we are not doubters but are simply humans. We can only doubt when someone makes a claim that something exists, and we only will doubt if that claim cannot be proven.