From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Kristopher J Purzycki"
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Friday, August 25, 2000 5:42 PM

One either has a god belief (however vague) or one does not have a god belief (however vaguely). I do not recognize any middle ground (what some call agnosticism), and would be very concerned if any of my friends or relatives claimed to be simultaneously theistic and atheistic (so-called omnitheism, which states that all religious claims are true). For an agnostic to claim agnosticism as a third alternative is to misrepresent the historically accepted meaning of the word atheism: atheism is simply the lack of a god belief, it is not necessarily the assertion that no gods exist (though a few atheists do mane this assertion). True agnosticism is either theistic (a god exists but that's all we know) or atheistic (I don't know whether or not a god exists).

Short Grapic Rule

So, to answer your question, yes and no: atheism is more work in one sense and less work in another sense.

Atheism requires less work simply because theism is an additional belief that is tacked on to one's observations of his or her environment.

Atheism requires more work in that an atheist must think for him- or herself rather than (conveniently) rely on alleged "revelations" from a supposed deity. Of course, some atheists take their orders from this or that philosopher (Marx; Rand) and some theists do think for themselves on all matters including those of religion (many Unitarians; many Pantheists; many liberal Christians). Also, all theists decide which system they will follow, and some only become "sheep" once this decision has been made. But the basic idea behind Freethought (one brand of atheism) is that you are responsible for developing your own outlook.

Atheism is no fun at times: it's cold and lonely out her and we have no comforting myths to carry us through life's tough moments.

Are you sure you're gonna be okay?