To: "Positive Atheism Magazine"<editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Fwd: Charlotte's Web/Secular Rites
Date: Friday, September 29, 2000 5:04 PM

To: "Positive Atheism Magazine"<editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Friday, September 29, 2000 4:37 PM

Hi Cliff Walker:

I'm a member of Charlotte's web and am writing in answer to your request for funeral services, etc.

I disagree with you in that I think a funeral is for both the living and the dead. If a dead person does not want a preacher praying over him he should be granted that wish. In Michigan there is a law that states that you must follow the deceased person's wishes. If old John wants to be buried in Michigan you cannot drag him off to Indiana for the burial.

Now to your problem. I did an atheist funeral service for a lady who I knew for several years. I went to Ingersoll's 12 volumes and used much of the material in his books. He has several memorial services throughout his 12 volumes.

Another source for funeral services is a book by a lady who lives in England by the name of Willson. You can buy her book from Prometheus Books, 59 John Glenn Drive, Amherst, NY, 14228-2197. Not as good as Ingersoll in my opinion.

Another source for funeral services is a book by Corliss Lamont. It is published by The American Humanist Association, 7 Harwood Drive, P.O. Box 1188, Amherst, NY, 14226-7188. It is a "classic." Pretty good, but I still like Ingersoll better.

I will be happy to send you a copy of the memorial service I put together for my friend a few years back, based on the writings of Bob Ingersoll if you send me your address. It can easily be modified to fit most freethought occasions!

I would suggest you always have a detached person to do the eulogy. My friend ask me to do the one for his wife, who's end we knew was near. Since she was also my friend of many years it was emotionally hard for me to do. I got through it OK but looking back on it I should have passed and ask him to get a more distant person.

Also I at one time did about 30 marriages. I believe I still have the two services I used. One for believers and one for non believers. I will send copies if you so desire.

Dill. Henderson

Graphic Rule

From:"Larry"
To:"Positive Atheism Magazine"<editor@positiveathiesm.org>
Subject: Re: FORUM: Secular Memorial Services? (Also: Death Threat ReportedTo Authorities)
Date: Thursday, September 28, 2000 5:21 AM

Prometheus books has a nice little book out called "Funerals Without Gods" by Jane Wynne Wilson.

K1zw
Larry
Qcwa