The Meaning Of Freedom
(report)

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Positive Atheism List"
Subject: The Meaning of Freedom
Date: Monday, October 30, 2000 12:34 AM

Hello, everyone!

I've been working a lot on the Big List of Quotations and catching up a little on the Letters section.

Before I duck out of the world as we know it and buckle down to produce this month's print edition (featuring a big pullout section of separationist quotations), I'd like say something to all Americans of voting age: Before you go and vote for a man who thinks Freedom From Religion is a bad idea, please check out this snippet from Maurice Cranston's classic book Freedom: In it, Cranston makes an excellent case that freedom is always in the context of freedom from some constraint. In the case of religions freedom, this means freedom from government support and intermeddling in our religious affairs. Even if you, like me, are voting for a man who, like me, thinks Freedom From Religion is the American way, you might like this short essay written as part of Cranston's thesis at Oxford and first published in 1953.

Finally, I'd like to remind everyone that atheism is a religious opinion: an opinion about religion. I say this in case someone tries to redefine atheism or religious freedom in a way that would prevent atheism from being covered under religious freedom.