Positive Atheism Forum / 'Totalitarian Regimes': Are They All 'Godless'?

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Positive Atheism List"
Subject: "Totalitarian Regimes": Are They "Godless"?
Date: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 4:44 PM

U.S. Government Equates Nontheism With Evil

This from Associated Press:

Pope Wins U.S. Medal
Congressional Award is
Highest Civilian Honor
The Associated Press

VATICAN CITY, Jan. 8 -- Pope John Paul II was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal today, joining a select list that also includes George Washington, Bob Hope and Mother Teresa.

U.S. House and Senate leaders presented the medal to the pontiff during a ceremony in the Apostolic Palace's fresco-covered 17th-century Clementine Room. The legislation to award John Paul the medal hails the 80-year-old, Polish-born pope for using "his moral authority to hasten the fall of godless totalitarian regimes." ...

Why is the term godless still popularly used as an epithet? still popularly equated with evil? And why is our government continuing this outmoded language? Madalyn Murray O'Hair divorced the concept of atheism from the concept of Communism back in the 1960s.

If you are an American, please write to your representative, and perhaps your local TV and newspapers, and raise this issue once more.

When Miami Mayor Joe Carollo vilified the INS agents who snatched Elian Gonzales, he said, "These are atheists. The don't believe in God." Nobody raised a cry. Even most atheistic organizations were silent.

Perhaps by our silence we have endorsed this abuse of language, this smear against ourselves and our like-minded fellows.

You can find out how to contact your Senators and Representative through these pages.

If you are not an American, perhaps you might want to wake our sleeping government up with a note from abroad. This move clearly allies the United States with the Vatican in particular and with theism in general.

We will post any responses or any forwarded letters to representatives.

From: "IVW"
To: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: ABCNEWS.com Pope Wins Congressional Gold Medal - THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!
Date: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 2:25 PM

This is total bullshit! Yes, he can be awarded this honor because he is a civilian, but the manner and wording in which he was awarded the medal is a suck-up to the Catholic Church, Christians in general, and a degradation to those of us who are godless in America and around the world and not leading totalitarian regimes.

The legislation to award John Paul the medal hails the 80-year-old, Polish-born pope for using "his moral authority to hasten the fall of godless totalitarian regimes." Godless? What the fuck is that? Who says they are godless, and even if they are, so what -- Congress has no business lauding anybody for their religious efforts.

I, we, have been segregated by our own government; once again, relegated to second-class citizenship because we lack a god belief, equated with totalitarian despots around the world whose description conjures up visions of depravity, wickedness, ruthless human conduct and evil. This has got to stop.

I am a citizen and this is a violation of my right to a separation of church and state. The wall is going down fast if not gone already.

Remember, Mother Teresa of the Robbing Hand took donations from Charles Keating, sent a letter in his defense and support to the LA justice system, and then when told that the money she had received from Keating had been stolen from innocent humans who had been bilked, politely ignored the request from the LA DA's office to return the money to its rightful owners. What a useless human, and she, and now the Pope have eagerly accepted honors which violate my human rights.

Passivity is getting us nowhere.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/popemedal010108.html

Graphic Rule

From: "Sharon Payant"
To: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Congressional medal to Pope
Date: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 6:13 PM

I hope people will respond to to Congress on this because I am very tired of our government pandering to the religious while demeaning non-theists. I submitted this, via e-mail, to Darlene Hooley, and Senators Wyden and Smith:

Graphic Rule

From: "Prescott, Andy (IMF C400)"
To: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: RE: "Totalitarian Regimes": Are They "Godless"?
Date: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 8:55 PM

Cliff,

Thanks for the info. I missed that story this morning. Attached is a copy of a short note I mailed to Senator Murray (D-WA), Congressman Dicks (D-WA) and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Not as eloquent as you, but hopefully it will at least get read.

Keep on keepin' on!

Andy

Ah! Then it is Haestert! That rascal!

But then, why did the one they present to the pope have that language lest it had been approved by both bodies?

Ah, so they're giving the Pope more credit than they're giving the public, via the press!

That sounds like the Haestert we all know!