Thoughts On
Religious Bigotry
Carey Sherrill

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Bigotry
Date: Sunday, January 14, 2001 4:49 AM

To me, if an atheist judges theists as an inferior class, that atheist is being a bigot. If an atheist approaches a theist and tries to dissuade that theist from being a theist, that atheist is committing bigotry. Thus, I only approach the preachers, the charlatans, and leave the rank and file believers alone -- unless their theism becomes a springboard or an excuse for dishonest behavior or exploitation, such as is described in the letter, "Two Varieties Of Religious Dishonesty."

People are people, and we're all in this boat together (although some people don't realize this). This is why we encourage atheists to accept the fact that most theists have (or think they have) valid reasons for believing that gods exist.