The Twelve Steppers
Must Be Stepped On Hard
Heinz Puppe

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Heinz Puppe"
Subject: Re: AA
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 06:47:44 -0000

The Twelve Step-based "rehabilitation" programs are the most firmly established faith-based partnerships going. Their precedence (that is, the fact that we didn't fight them with all that we had while we still had the chance) has opened the door to President Bush's (and his opponent, Vice-President Gore) plan to suck even more money out of the public treasury in order to support government-financed, government-sanctioned and, in the case of "rehabilitation," programs, government-mandated religious instruction.

I heard many excuses, ranging from "Well, the programs are doing some good; they're helping some people!" to "Who gives a rat about a bunch of frigging drunks, anyway?" Now that the Twelve Step experiment has proven so successful, those who want the public to finance religion have gone full-speed ahead. Now we're in it over our heads. Most of us who have been on the front lines for all these years are now scratching our heads and wondering where we can possibly begin -- what we can possibly do to even start putting on the brakes -- much less put a stop to this madness!