Why Is AOL
Blocking Our Website?
(Report)

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: <stevecase@aol.com>
Subject: Why is our website being blocked?
Date: Thursday, January 25, 2001 7:07 AM

We have received several complaints that AOL members must log on to other Internet services if they wish to visit our domain.

We operate an anti-bigotry website, taking up the cause of those who do not believe the many and varied claims of organized religion. Philosophically, we are a direct descendent of the satyagraha movement of Mahatma Gandhi, via his friend Gora and Gora's son Lavanam. We are, among other things, an official web presence for the writings of Gandhi's friend Gora, having been given permission by Lavanam to post Gora's material, and Gandhi's material which is currently controlled by Lavanam.

Our current position,"What Is Positive Atheism?," may be found at:
http://www.PositiveAtheism.org/faq/faq1111.htm#WHATISPOSATH
and Gora's original write-up of "Positive Atheism" may be found at:
http://www.positiveatheism.org/india/gora21.htm
Gora's dialogues with Mahatma Gandhi are described at:
http://www.positiveatheism.org/india/gora11.htm

Thus we must ask that you provide for us the criteria that went into your decision to prevent AOL members from having access to our website. Several readers suspect that the word atheism has a bearing on your decision, that AOL is systematically blocking any and all non-Christian websites. Please prove these readers wrong, by excerpting the material you found on our website which led to your decision to bar AOL members from having access to our website, and by explaining to us what it is about this material which prompted you to make this decision on behalf of AOL members.

We have posted this request and will post your response at:
http://www.PositiveAtheism.org/mail/eml9292.htm

As of January 31, 2001 at 9:14 AM (GMT) we have yet to receive a response from this letter to America Online.