Europeans Concerned
About Separation In U.S.
Wim Koornneef

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "WIM KOORNNEEF"
Subject: Re: "As Guests In The Christians' Home"
Date: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 11:57 PM

Strange how the Christians so often give credit to "God" when it was we humans who did the work! Particularly striking are those instances when it was the spokespersons for the Christian God who stopped at nothing to thwart scientific progress in the first place. Many organized religious groups viciously oppose DNA research, claiming it is not Man's domain to "play God"! But when something good comes of the controversial research, the Christian God is the first to get credit -- and undue credit at that!

This is why it would be a good idea to popularize an International denunciation of Bush's efforts. He certainly is not listening to the American public, which seems overwhelmingly opposed to this ruse. The International community has been able to affect many changes, most notably ending Apartheid in South Africa. And since world population control is everybody's business, I think we could easily justify a very stern denunciation of the United States for this highly politicized move.

Remember, when the final votes were counted, Gore not only won the popular vote, he actually would have won the State of Florida, and thereby the election. It was political maneuvering on the part of Bush, his brother, the Governor of Florida, and others which prevented those voted from being counted and thus ushering him in to the White House. Bush, therefore, does not have a mandate, and it is pure arrogance on his part to begin implementing such drastic and controversial changes. The United States Senate has agreed to divide the power evenly between the two parties, as a show of recognition for the lack of mandate; Bush does well to heed the Senate's example.

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "WIM KOORNNEEF"
Subject: Re: Concealed
Date: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 9:33 PM

Were a number of Europeans to send letters to the American press, this, I think, would make a big impression. And, individual letters put on a greater appearance of spontaneity, whereas packages of petitions betray an organized hustle.

Most importantly, though, if European social and political leaders would write to the American press, describing the consequences of this action and the fears of the European people, this would, I think, make the greatest impression.

Rest assured that this is not going to go through without a fight. Many religious people are extremely concerned, realizing that state-church separation is crucial to their own religious freedom.

Finally, when Pat Robertson came on CNN and lied about Rev. Barry Lynn, of Americans United for the Separation of Church and State, he was so transparent that, in my opinion, anybody who did not see through his routine deserves to go about life believing The Big Lie!

Meanwhile, I will see which groups are organizing campaigns and point to them as vehicles for expressing outrage. I am very limited in what I can do because of the press of work and because of my health and because of my very limited finances.

I still think a big movement originating in Europe will communicate more forcefully than anything: there's this thing called American Pride, you see, which amounts to little more than American Arrogance, but an expression of European opinion against this move would be a force to be reckoned with.

Meanwhile, American Atheists, the Freedom From Religion Foundation, Americans United, the American Civil Liberties Union, and People for the American Way are all very busy, appearing on national television and making strong cases against this madness from various angles. It is The Big Controversy of today. Some even suggest that it was proposed as an effort that could only fail, but as an effort which serves to distract the public and the activists from other moves that are equally dangerous.