Europeans More Concerned
About Bush's Militarism
Johan Grahn

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Grahn, Johan"
Subject: Re: Europeans concerned about separation ...
Date: Thursday, February 01, 2001 9:43 PM

The reference is in our Big List of George W. Bush Quotations, listed as an Americans United release titled, "President Bush And 'Faith-Based' Initiatives: AU Report And Answers to Frequently Asked Questions."

So I called Americans United and they gave, as the context, Bush speaking with reporters on March 1, 2000, and as the primary source, the Austin American-Statesman for March 2, 2000, page A-9. I have updated the BushBLOQ with this information and a few more details.

I am wondering if the anti-separationist plan is designed to divert attention from the SS plan. I've seen this happen before, where a President wishes to push through a controversial bill and, to keep us busy, tosses out an extremely and fundamentally flawed bill -- that would never fly anyway -- just to keep the news focused on it. While Neil Armstrong was landing on the moon, Richard Nixon was busy rounding up a number of popular anti-Vietnam War protesters (check Joan Baez's comments on the "Woodstock" album and film). During his second appearance in Portland, Oregon, the Secret Service team of George Herbert Walker Bush (Senior) diverted the attention of several thousand protesters by having about 200 riot cops start running -- very visibly -- toward the far end of the building. Though nothing was happening, many of the protesters naturally followed the riot cops, and when this happened 200 more cops swooped in between what was by now two smaller groups rather than a single group.

But we cannot assume this thing won't fly: they put "In God We Trust" on our money, remember! And there's nothing we can do to take it off because the same hysteria which prevented anybody from objecting during the McCarthy Era still exists today. And even if this travesty could never possibly fly, we must spend our resources opposing it, or else next time it just might fly by default.