From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Kristine"
Subject: Re: Hovind/Chick publications -- Need we say more?
Date: Sunday, February 18, 2001 8:37 PM

Ah, I had it backwards! Hovind didn't develop his thinking style from reading these little things, he actually writes them! Lordy!

If he offers $250,000, certain people will believe he has a valid case; such people will base that belief entirely and exclusively on his offer of $250,000. Nothing else need be said. Hovind could be offering to prove the Earth is flat: it matters naught. If this is what they need to maintain faith in their faith, these people will pursue it!

Nevertheless, James Randi's organization told me that Hovind has placed so many conditions on his offer that it is nearly impossible to collect. For example, you must convince a panel of Fundamentalist Christians selected by Hovind that you're right and they're wrong. (Could you do that? I couldn't! Wouldn't even waste my time trying.) To get a taste of what at least one of Hovind's followers thinks like, check out the "Let's Go To The Atheist Page" piece. We also have a discussion on the "Hovind's 300 Creationist Lies" web site.

I don't know what kind of a "Doctor" he is, but I can get a Doctorate of Divinity from the Universal Life Church for $20. [Update: Since this posting Hovind has admitted that his doctorate is of the "diploma mill" variety; that is, an unearned sheet of paper!] I think ULC founder Rev. Kirby Hensley was able to prevail in court on the notion that since the D.D. is granted by seminaries for instruction in theology, every D.D. is an honorary degree -- no matter how much time or how many thousands you spent at Divinity School. Meanwhile, many chemists and mathematicians are devout theists; unfortunately for the cause of creationism, very few biologists and physicists even believe in the existence of gods and the supernatural seeing as how their specialties so thoroughly refute the more popular notions of The Benign Designer.

Example of Chick Propaganda
Example of Chick's Fundamentalist Christian Propaganda

Example of Chick Propaganda
Example of Chick's Fundamentalist Christian Propaganda
Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: I posted your letter
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 04:40:02 -0000

The newly revised "Big Daddy" tract is online.
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0055/0055_01.asp

Question: If God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, as they say, then why did Chick need to revise this tract?

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Kristine"
Date: Monday, February 26, 2001 8:20 AM

Collect them all! Every English-language title for only $10! They even come in their own carrying case!
http://www.chick.com/catalog/assortments/0915.asp

This guy knows exactly what he's doing. That's why I posted the panels I did: in them, he all but admits that he's in the propaganda game -- just like he accuses Mao of doing. But it's okay, because the propaganda is for "our side." Jeez!

I've seen people that are looking for the rare ones -- I guess a few offended even the ultra fundamentalists and only stayed on the market for a short while. Others have been revised (read: had the violence or bigotry toned down a bit).

Hell, maybe my "vestigial fear of the Christian afterlife" came from reading these things as a teenager. I was raised in an atheistic household; not even the grandparents -- any of them -- were anything more than atheistic Unitarians. And these little buggers are so gauddamn graphic about it: "Yaaaaaaaaaa!!" screams the poor hapless soul [pun intended] as a faceless "angel" (whatever that is) literally tosses the guy, naked, into The Everlasting Arms of Christ's Redemptive Fire.

Meanwhile, here's another of Jack Chick's boasts about Hovind:

Table Quote Adornment

Hovind's contention is that evolution is not science, but an alternate belief system -- a religion. Surely it takes more faith to believe that animals came from rocks than it does to believe in a loving Creator Who designed them.
-- from "Battle Cry"

 Table Quote Adornment

Yeah, right! This whole enterprise is based entirely upon the Straw Man ruse. Animals came from rocks!? Indeed! Show me an evolutionist who contends (or even suggests) that either (a) animals came from rocks or (b) evolutionary theory states that animals came from rocks, and I'll dismantle this project and post in its place an apology for uttering falsehood. [Update: A full three years later, we've still had no takers. Nobody has tried to show our readers that any evolutionists have ever said these things! All we ever get from this camp are claims, claims, claims!] Okay, so at least these Christians, in describing the "faith" of their Straw-Man evolutionists, end up admitting that faith is the act of believing something that only a fool would believe!

That slogan "preaching to the choir" sure derived from the right subject matter! All of these apologetics -- all of them: from the somewhat involved "Bible Problems" books to the sophisticated-sounding works of Lee Strobel to the ticky-tacky comic tracts of Jack T. Chick -- are created solely to keep the sheep from wandering astray of the fold. Not a one of them is useful toward recruiting, especially a learned atheist! Now, atheists do convert, but it's hardly ever due to the apolotetics efforts of organized reiigion. Rather, it's almost always a private emotional fluctuation of some sort.