Read The Scriptures
And Become An Atheist
Lynn Anderson

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Lynn Andersen"
Subject: Re: The Bible
Date: Sunday, January 21, 2001 1:35 PM

Many have considered the Bible to be the single most frequent cause of atheism. This opinion dates back to shortly after Wycliffe was burned at the stake for translating it into English and publishing it far and wide.

I am fond of saying that reading the Bible turned me into an atheist.
    -- Ruth Hurmence Green

It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand.
    -- Mark Twain

Hope you've checked out our National Bible Week Poster. Sometimes I just grab my stapler and post a few of them on telephone poles and the like -- just to get it out of my system. As for Gibson's article, it touts the newer, simpler "translations" underwritten usually by Evangelical Bible Fundamentalists such as Pat Robertson and Zondervan Publishing. I have made quite a study of biblical errancy, and have noticed that these newer "translations" tend to "fix" a lot of the problems, and usually do so without any justification other than their presupposition that the "original" work came to us without error: in several cases that I have found, there is little or no textual or manuscript justification for the changes. Check out my original discussion in "Atheism: A Position of Convenience?" with Mike Boston, as I discovered this discrepancy while doing the research for this piece. There's some further work in this area in "Gospel Contradictions" with Kameron Schulz and also in "On Quoting The Bible Out Of Context" with Matthew Rupert, which repeats part of my discussion in the Schulz piece.

As for the Book of Mormon, Mark Twain called it "chloroform in print" and said that if they removed all occurrences of the phrase "And it came to pass," it would be reduced to a mere pamphlet.