Newberg, Dreams,
And Metabolism
Chester Twarog

From: "CHESTER TWAROG"
To: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: "Why God Won't Go Away" by Andrew Newberg
Date: Friday, April 20, 2001 1:38 PM

Cliff,

Discover magazine had a wonderful article on dreams and sleeping in April 2001 issue.

"Dreams":

"... vivid dreams occur because of a lack of metabolic activity in the prefrontal cortex during REM sleep. Elevated prefrontal activity during the waking state causes repressive (inhibited) personalities--the more prefrontal cortex metabolism remains repressed during REM sleep, the more vivid and disinhibited dream content will be. Increased metabolic activity during sleep causes muscle and heart rate to increase, the limbic system (emotion) increase, memory and sensory processing, downstream vision of optic nerves (the integration of visual patterns) and hearing regions during REM."

As for the "bright light during NDE", I can create interesting shifting patterns by pressing against my closed eyes -- downstream vision?. Try it.

"...I can rest assured that I did the right thing by not worshiping the despicable god."

"...The Book of John is pure bullshit ..."

"..Paul had his head up his ass when he wrote Romans Chapter 7."

"Stop supporting the madness that the Christian religion advocates in its teachings."

"Christians want to take our culture back to the dark ages"

"What scientists are suppose to do is evaluate an idea on the soundness of the logic and the testing of the predictions it can generate"
     -- David Quammen.