Why Would One
Not Believe In God?
Dean McCarroll

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Dean McCarroll"
Subject: Re: hello , I am a theist (monothiest that is)
Date: Thursday, May 03, 2001 6:28 PM

Only very special people get to call me "friend," and only the shallowest of salesmen will address a letter to a complete stranger by using the word friend. Please don't cheapen the concept of friendship by using this word in patronizing me.

This is not the question. The question is why one would believe that a god exists. I have spent almost my entire life listening to people try to explain to me why I should think that gods exist, and nobody has been able to show me why I ought to go along with them in this matter.

The people who say that gods exist are the ones who have some explaining to do. The rest of us have nothing to explain because we are making no claims in this regard. We do not assent to your claims (because they are so utterly vacant) and we don't need to explain why, other than to show that your claims do not warrant our assent (being either weak or based on falsehood). Because we are not the ones having asserted that gods exist, we have no positive arguments in this discussion. Had you read anything in our website other than the word atheist, you would have encountered this one.

If Hawking said this, shame on him! (I'd like to see the documentation, as I don't think he did say this.)

The odds of this universe producing life are exactly one: this universe has produced life. We have no other universes with which to compare this one, so we cannot lay odds on whether "a universe" will produce life. The only universe that we know about has produced life. Hawking knows this.

Okay, again I would like to see your documentation: Please show me the poll among zoologists and biologists (those scientists who deal directly with evolution -- as opposed to mathematicians, who don't need to know diddly about evolution). Please tell me which prominent biologists and zoologists reject macro-evolution for the biblical account of creation? Please name names and show your work.

If so, then why have you misrepresented my position here?

This is falsehood, and you know it.

Or perhaps you don't know this, because you get all your biology information from a preacher, rather than from biologists and zoologists?

Again, this shows only that you have obtained your science education with your eyes closed -- unless you have a unique understand of the concept of "working together in perfect harmony."

Only because you don't know biology of zoology or geology or astronomy or physics.

Perhaps you would be more honest if you simply said, "I believe gods exist, and that's that!"

I don't know what you mean by "more faith" because faith is faith: you either kneel with your eyes closed and believe whatever the preachers tell you to believe (faith) or you stand up in the world with open eyes and submit your findings to the scrutiny of your fellows (science).

Gee, how did I guess after reading only the first two words of your letter?