Bush Oath:
Was It Constitutional?
Roger S. Schlueter

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Roger S. Schlueter"
Subject: Re: Bush Orders Americans To Pray To God
Date: Sunday, January 21, 2001 12:55 PM

My TV is used only for karaoke. It's not even hooked up to an antenna, and I cannot remember how to make the VCR work on it. I borrowed it to watch the Simpson trial, and then when I tried to return it, I could not for the life of me convince the guy that he'd ever even owned the device -- much less loaned it to me. So it's still here, and we crank it up and practice our songs on it once in a while.

Rehnquist had him "repeat after me" and Rehnquist included the "so help me God" part, which Bush obediently (and gleefully) repeated. I'll bet neither is aware that this is not part of the oath.

The problem is that this has been going on for years. Bush is not the first or the only one to do this, and no challenge has been made. And the courts have ruled that if the only "damage" that has been done is to our sensibilities -- for their having acted illegally -- then no real damage has been done, and we cannot challenge the act.