Bush: Charities Will Crumble
Under Bureaucratic Standards
Mike Arrowood

To: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Friday, April 13, 2001 5:33 AM

Dear Mr. Walker,

First of all I would like to thank you for your wonderful site. I am an atheist in the Bible belt, which is to say that almost everyone dislikes me but I never cared to be a popular person and couldn't care less how most people view me. I am also libertarian, another unpopular position here in Appalachia.

My question is, what do you think of G. W.? Personally, I feel that our new president is placing importance on Christianity to repay the fundamentalists that got him into office. The funding of religious charities will cave in upon itself, in my opinion. Simple community funded church charities will crumble when held to bureaucratic standards. This belief alone is why I am not very angry about this move.

I would have liked to see Harry Browne get the presidency, but I must say, I'm glad that Bush won over Gore. Both are typical politicians, both played to the religious right but I (foolishly perhaps) believe that G. W. will better defend my constitutional rights. Namely, the issue of gun control. In my tendency to view the world realistically as opposed to looking upon our society as a utopia, I carry a handgun. I am a law abiding citizen with a permit to carry a concealed handgun, no small feat in my state. Background checks, countless hours of class time, and an accuracy qualification must be met. I am less concerned with the ramblings of politicians on their religious beliefs than I am on their stance on disarming their citizens.

I wont bore you with statistics, for all I know you don't give a damn either way. In any case, thank you again for providing the best atheist site that I have ever visited.

Sincerely,

Mike Arrowood

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Friday, April 13, 2001 5:56 PM

I think Dubya has already become the biggest loser ever to occupy the White House. I would probably be saying similar things about Gore, replacing the word loser with something similar. The fundamentalists did not put him in office, his brother did. He did not have a mandate even among fundamentalists.

I don't care if the faith-based initiative crumbles in upon itself, it's now open season on the First Amendment. Our work is cut out for us, but at least now many more of us have awakened to the call of the bugle.

If you knew the pattern of how our Letters are posted or could see the postmarks on a regularly mailed subscription to the print edition, you'd see that something is up with me, starting about eight months ago: I think this election really did me in, and I am only this past month or two beginning to pull out of my funk and starting to get some work done. I love my country, and I'm glad that what little of the American Ideal was left when I was born during the McCarthy Era was, in fact, handed down to me. That's all. And I like to think that we can eventually attain that ideal. But we seem to have taken several steps backwards in recent months.