  • From: Wayne Church of Christ
    To: Positive Atheism
    Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 4:57 PM
    Subject: A Note About Landover

    Greetings.

    For people who "insist on truthfulness," your outrage at the deception being perpetrated by "Landover Baptist Church" seems rather mild.

    Jim Snapp II
    Minister, Wayne Church of Christ

    Graphic Rule

    From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
    To: "Wayne Church of Christ"
    Subject: Re: A Note About Landover
    Date: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 5:53 PM

    What!? This guy had me fooled for months he's so realistic!

    Meanwhile, what, specifically, is "mild" about our criticism of the site? that we quietly ignore it and proceed along different lines? Do you think I should be drawing lots of attention to it? or didn't you think my well-aimed pot-shots at Landover were very funny?

    Truly the two most dishonest moves I've encountered in recent times (from atheists) have been the letters discrediting the Murray-O'Hair family, saying they had stolen a large sum of money from the organization, and the recent attempt by Kim Shultz to use our registered service mark as the title of her personal web page. Landover's playful satire of Fundamentalist Christianity is child's play -- almost legitimate (and perfectly legal) -- in comparison to these (highly illegal) attempts to steal, in all seriousness, somebody's very reputation.

    Methinks your suggestion that we are hypocrites is entirely out of place -- typical of someone who is so busy making it a point to tell everybody else what to do that he could never be seen acknowledging the legitimacy of satire and other fictional works of artistic expression.