Newberg: Is Opium
The Religion Of The Masses?
Landis Schmitt

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Schmitt, Landis"
Subject: Re: Opium religion of the masses
Date: Monday, June 11, 2001 10:12 PM

I tried to make this point in the discussion of Newberg's claims about the mystical experience. Most would concede that the mystical experience is not really a malfunction of the brain (though it is abnormal in the Lenny Bruce sense in that it is very rare). Newberg tried to posit that it's not only normal but could be seen as another sense, to detect what instruments and the five senses cannot detect: the spiritual realm. I said that if he wants to call this normal, he has to admit that the opioid experience is likewise normal because the narcotics molecules fit very snugly into certain neural receptors of the human nervous system. It is a natural substance, by the way; one of the many herbs of the field which some ancient scrolls tell us have been blessed by God for our use. So, to be self-consistent, Dr. Newberg does well to concede to this point.

Meanwhile, I'm off to that marvelous shrine to pay homage and tithe to the man who wears a white robe and deciphers the mystical koans written by the high priestess of the sect of my fathers: It's that day of the of week when I go out and pick up my prescription. This is not salvation by grace because they don't allow them to deliver in my state.