Positive Atheism: Any
Chapters In [Location Removed]?
[name removed]

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "[name removed]"
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 6:21 PM

One of the main points of Positive Atheism Magazine is to cater to those atheists who do not belong to groups. This is why we are unafraid to publish, for example, a defense of atheism from the right-wing perspective -- most atheist groups are unabashedly neo-Liberal, and many of us Conservatives and old-school Liberals feel uncomfortable in groups for that reason.

Meanwhile, we will never get atheists to agree on even whether to call ourselves atheists. But we can identify a group as consisting of those who lack theism, lack a god belief, and agree that the monicker atheism is controversial but we, as a magazine, choose to use it anyway. This, hopefully, will open the door to legitimizing the private, unorganized advocacy of issues that affect anyone who does not toe the party line on religious matters.

I find lots of people who do not believe in gods or the supernatural who work very hard to live good, happy lives. The reason we don't see them is because the stigma leveled against us prompts or forces most of us to be underground about our atheism. I try to counter this by making a big sacrifice in my life -- I am not afraid to let it be known that I am an atheist and I will not be silent over how I feel about the more intrusive expressions of religion in our culture. I am also constantly debunking common myths such as "In God We Trust" is our nation's original motto (very common these days -- no, it came about in the 1950s, during the McCarthy Era) and especially that religion is good for people (like getting drunk is good for people -- a little is fine, but to overdo it is disaster). For this, I have few friends and don't get invited to many family functions.

Oh well. If being an atheist impairs my life in that respect, so be it: with "friends" like that, who needs enemies?