All The Gods Come
From The Same Place
Thomas Fiddler

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Thomas Fiddler"
Subject: Re: Greetings!
Date: Thursday, January 25, 2001 8:57 PM

"Madeline Murray O'Hare" is a misspelling of Madalyn Murray O'Hair's name that is very popular among those who have perpetrated horrible lies about her. Whenever I get wind of a frantic SPAM or other rumor demanding that we write to the FCC to stop Madalyn Murray O'Hair from doing her evil work, or something along those lines, her name is inevitably spelled this way instead of the way it is actually spelled (or any other misspelling -- just this misspelling). No clue why this is.

The important thing to remember is that Madalyn Murray O'Hair perceived a great wrong and decided to do something about it. She turned out to be right in her perception, but in righting these wrongs, she offended a great many wrongdoers and made quite a name for herself. Thus, no matter how badly someone misspells her name, everybody still knows who that person is talking about! This, to me, is the ultimate act of name recognition, and speaks volumes for Ms. O'Hair's work. May her name live forever -- no matter how it is spelled!

You might be thinking about the book Atheist Primer, which is available on the American Atheists website. If not, then they would know which book you are thinking about. I vaguely remember the phrase you mention, or something similar, and it may be an out-of-print pamphlet that was once available, or it may even be from the book I mentioned above. The point of the quip was to say that all the gods come from the human imagination.