Atheist Groups Abound:
Big List At American Atheists
G. Wesley Bennett

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "G. Wesley"
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: Wednesday, June 27, 2001 5:04 AM

Many are just looking for any group of atheists and live in places where we take what we can get -- if there's anything going on at all! I refer these to the Local Section of our Web Guide, which lists as many local and regional groups as we've been able to get our hands on.

Others seek an alternative to what usually constitutes an atheist group. Positive Atheism's target audience consists, in part, of atheists who choose not to be part of a group. Some who reject the group scene tend to see atheist groups as being dominated by Liberals. Others do not like the tendency of an us-versus-them mentality that often forms when people band together behind an ideology. Most, though, just aren't joiners. Group affiliation or no, we active atheists definitely have our work cut out for us, and just because one person doesn't see fit to join a group doesn't mean that person thinks others ought to shun them. It is our hope that those who belong to groups will grant independent activists the same dignity.