More Information
On Positive Atheism?
Matthew Daly

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Matthew Daly"
Subject: Re: atheism /humanism
Date: Friday, July 27, 2001 9:23 PM

We establish the web site and publish the magazine for the benefit of atheists such as yourself. We particularly try to focus on being of service to those atheists who choose not to be part of an atheist group. The magazine is monthly and costs $24 per year in the United States. This is our only source of income, and we put lots of material in the magazine that will never go on the web site.

Our philosophy, our unique spin on atheism, is contained in the piece "Introduction To Activistic Atheism."

There are basically two kinds of atheists: those who are only vaguely aware of their atheism, who don't pay attention to religion or the god question, and those of us who know we are atheists and who, perhaps, even orient our lives around the fact that we're atheists. Of the latter group, some of us are active in trying to change our world for the better, and these are called activists. Among the activists, some of us are active in issues pertaining to atheism: these issues include the separation of religion from government and trying to reduce the dignity which we atheists tend to endure for being atheists. Lesser issues include debunking claims for the supernatural and countering publicly made claims for religion that have a profound impact upon society.

Regular atheism is the simple lack of a god belief. Some atheists go so far as to assert that no gods exist, but most of us simply don't believe. Many of us are only vaguely aware of our atheism and do not think about religion at all. Positive Atheism is a specific philosophy which places truthfulness as the supreme ethic. This philosophy is derived from India, and is ultimately derived from Gandhi's Satyagraha.

Much of our web site is informational. We have a huge section containing both historical and modern writings. Unlike some of the other web sites that also do this, we are tedious in our transcriptions, ensuring the highest level of accuracy we can muster. Our news sections have been left alone for about a year now, simply because I don't have the time to keep up with it. I do put a lot of work into the Quotes section and the Letters section is the busiest part of the web site.

You may participate in the Letters section by going to the Forum and tackling some of the questions we have posted. Or you can write a question of your own or make comments. We don't always post right away, because I am very far behind in my work. But most letters eventually get posted. If you know about copy editing and the like, you are welcome to help us out in that respect as well. Just write and ask about the ProofReading Group.