From: "Positive Atheism Magazine"
To: "[unsigned]"
Subject: WebMaster: Positive Atheism Index
Date: August 22, 2001

I don't understand what you're talking about.

Who is saying that there is not a god? Did I write to any theists and tell them that no gods exist? I don't remember ever doing that. Did I post on my web site the statement that no gods exist? If so, send me the URL and I'll quickly change it to reflect what atheism really is: the simple absence of a god-belief.

Or did you merely click the e-mail link on our front page upon seeing a single word, atheism? This word is widely misunderstood by theists and misrepresented by their leaders as meaning something that it does not? Did you not check out what we have to say before firing off your salvoes against us? Is this the kind of ethic that this "God" fellow inspires people toward?

Meanwhile, can you provide me with a compelling reason to think that such things as gods exist? Or do I have to sit here and continue to say that I have yet to encounter a reason for thinking that gods exist, and thus remain an atheist -- that is, a person without theism?

"I find it interesting that it takes so many words and deep thoughts to explain that there is not a God.
I find it extremely easy to see God without any words at all."

"I find it interesting that it takes so many words and deep thoughts to explain that there is not a God belief.
I find it extremely easy to see and believe in God without any words at all."

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine"
To: "[unsigned]"
Date: August 22, 2001

We have never said that there is no god-belief. Not only do we fully recognize that the majority of humans have god-beliefs, but we actually go so far as to dignify those believers by presupposing that all theists have (or think they have) valid reasons for believing the way they do. We differ from theists only in that we do not consider those reasons to be strong enough to warrant our assent to their claims that gods exist.

Meanwhile, if you claim that gods exist, then the only way for you to communicate that information to me is through some form of language. It appears to be very important to you for me to believe that gods exist, because you have gone so far as to write me an e-mail and degrade me for not holding such a belief (and lie about our web site's purpose, to boot -- twice). If it is that important for me to agree with you, then I must insist that you make a strong case for the existence of gods, and that you do this using some form of language.

If you don't do this, then I think you owe us an apology for degrading us simply because we do not agree with your claims, particularly since you did not back up your claims with evidence and strong argument.

This web site and magazine are for the benefit of atheists, not theists. Our target audience consists of those who already lack a god-belief, and we have no desire to try to change anybody's mind on this question. While we welcome theists to visit and even to participate, we must ask them to behave as the guests that they are. We've never had to ask this of atheists, only theists. We just don't understand why so many theists log on and send us e-mail solely for the purpose of trying to straighten us out or degrading us for not agreeing with them -- particularly since not a one of them has been willing to provide us with a convincing reason for believing that gods exist.

Material by Cliff Walker (including unsigned editorial commentary) is copyright ©1995-2008 by Cliff Walker. Each submission is copyrighted by its writer, who retains control of the work except that by submitting it to Positive Atheism, permission has been granted to use the material or an edited version: (1) on the Positive Atheism web site; (2) in Positive Atheism Magazine; (3) in subsequent works controlled by Cliff Walker or Positive Atheism Magazine (including published or posted compilations). Excerpts not exceeding 500 words are allowed provided the proper copyright notice is affixed. Other use requires permission; Positive Atheism will work to protect the rights of all who submit their writings to us.