From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Kevin Martin"
Subject: Re: Positive Atheism, Cliff's Writings
Date: August 23, 2001 6:20 AM

I haven't read that book.

It makes sense that the atheists would have a better recidivism rate, because without the religious aspect, the atheists actually have to work at it, and it's the work that does the trick, not the god or the faith. The faith part is just to snow certain lazy people into doing the work.

The idea that really got to me was when some clown announced that God had let some person die or relapse back into misery just as a lesson for the clown who was speaking! Can you imagine a god killing one person with a drug overdose just to prevent another person from taking drugs? I mean, doesn't God keep them clean? Why, then, does He need to kill someone just to keep some shiftless good-for-nothing, who can't keep a spoon out of his own nose (or whatever), clean and sober?

When you get down to the article about "The Chocolate Easter Beast," which is my highly lauded description of Rational Recovery's self-recovery method, tell me what you think. Let me know if you think you can stay clean and sober on your own power through planned, permanent abstinence.