Religiosity Undermines
Effort To Destroy Terrorists
Andy Prescott

My thoughts and prayers are with each of you and I know that our prayers are with the victims, their families, and our Commander-In-Chief. God bless America.

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine"
To: "Prescott, Andy"
Subject: Treasonous Acts
Date: September 13, 2001

I still think it's going to ultimately backfire upon the cause of Christianity's credibility. I'm still thinking that a significant number of Americans will end up seeing the futility of thinking that a personal or rescuing deity exists. I am willing to bet this happens if September 11 is only the beginning.

Unfortunately, we only look tacky for making much noise about this. I learned this from listening to folks in Colorado (Columbine High School) and Oklahoma City (the Murrah Building) grapple with the ubiquitious sermonizing which followed both of those events. We are, I think, entirely justified in pointing out, en masse, that the Christian god appears to have been asleep at the wheel on September 11!

I agree that the alienation of a significant portion of Americans constitutes a form of treason (particularly in alienating those Muslim Americans who must feel the outrage that this was done in the name of their precious faith and family heritage, who feel this blow in addition to the outrage that we all feel that it was done at all). This form of "treason" is not literal nor punishable as a crime, of course, but it does make those who perpetrate it in some ways accountable for the damage that this behavior will certainly do to our nation's much-needed unity.

Perhaps we should work on a recommended media response.

Material by Cliff Walker (including unsigned editorial commentary) is copyright ©1995–2010 by Cliff Walker. Each submission is copyrighted by its writer, who retains control of the work except that by submitting it to Positive Atheism, permission has been granted to Positive Atheism to use the material or an edited version: (1) on the Positive Atheism web site; (2) in Positive Atheism Magazine; (3) in subsequent works controlled by Cliff Walker or Positive Atheism Magazine (including published or posted compilations). Excerpts not exceeding 500 words are allowed provided the proper copyright notice is affixed. Other use requires permission; Positive Atheism will work to protect the rights of all who submit their writings to us.