Twelve-Step Program's
Bait-And-Switch
Ken Whitley

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Alcoholics Anonymous Gets Clerical Privilege
Date: August 02, 2001 10:00 PM

I never had a drinking problem but took a few drugs both as a teenager and after I had been crippled in 1986, having been rendered unable either to hear or to walk by separate infections. Thus I do not meet the profile of someone who has a problem -- yet because of AA's Disease Model, I am branded for life and must struggle to get proper medical care if I get any at all.

Any time I have any problem, it is seen through this youthful indiscression -- yet we have a former cocaine abuser who committed DUI in the White House.

Today, I am happily drinking moderately. For almost twelve years I denied myself this simple pleasure because I had been frightened out of my wits by AA. Long after I learned that the disease model was pure bullshit (nine years after I learned, to be exact), I was still paralyzed by the AA propaganda. AA's indoctrination is some of the most ruthless that I've seen, and I've studied cults for almost three decades, now, having once sat at the feet of premier cult deprogrammer Ted Patrick.

Oh, they know better than to think that anybody would buy the "Space Shuttle" or "ashtray" or "doorknob" bits. They say this, but nobody actually does it, and they know that nobody ever will actually use a doorknob as their "Higher Power."

Besides, the Space Shuttle blew up. Now what are you going to do?

That business is just a bait-and-switch to get you to relax your critical thinking long enough for them to slip all the scare tactics in and cap it off with the loving embrace of the Fellowship. Yeah, right! As long as all atheists keep tight-lipped about their opinions, it can work, but this is not freedom by any stretch: you are substituting addiction to drugs and booze with addiction to the Program and the group.