Four Bald Assertions:
But Are They True?
(unsigned)

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Why I Think You Are Lying To Me
Date: August 23, 2001 11:31 PM

You claim four statements as "truth" but you make no effort to convince me that you are, indeed, telling me the truth. You merely make these bold (and bald) assertions, call them "truth," and leave it at that.

Meanwhile, your letter to us was sent via the e-mail link at the top of our front page, indicating that you probably haven't read a thing in our entire web site: you logged on, saw the word atheism, and launched your tirade solely on the basis of that one word, atheism. I would never do this to a Christian or anybody else. Furthermore, your letter exhibits a very condescending tone, almost to the point of being degrading (who do you know that would make their very first contact with a person an attempt to try to change that person's basic philosophical outlook?). Finally, your letter displays a high level of bias (you made no effort to hide your agenda: your letter is little else than a commercial sales pitch for religion).

For these reasons (plus the fact that you didn't even bother signing your letter), I flat-out don't believe you are telling me the truth.

You are welcome to try to change my mind in this matter, by giving me some strong and compelling reasons why I should believe that what you wrote in your letter to me is, in fact, the truth that you claim it to be.